Friday, July 25, 2008

Rocks in my dryer

...isn't that a great blog name! I stole this post from her blog. Linked from Amy...

Here's one mom's thoughts on mothering a dozen of kids:

First, and perhaps most obviously, many people with larger families encounter negative attitudes almost daily. Snide comments from strangers, nosy questions about their private lives, or unsupportive extended family all combine to make the members of a big family feel more like a circus side-show than legitimate members of society. The announcement of a new pregnancy is very often not met with joy, but with condemnation (if you are on the receiving end of such an announcement, be the exception and offer a simple congratulations). I could compile quite a list of all the obnoxious things that have been said to those of us with a passel of young’uns, but I'd rather not go off on that tangent. You'll just have to take my word for it that for many people, there does not appear to be any sort of regulatory gizmo betwixt their brains and their mouths. Yet I persist in believing that it's really not that difficult to be kind, or at the very least, silent!

Along those same lines, it often seems that families with lots of children are viewed with a more critical eye than those with the standard two. If a child acts up, it is of course because they come from such a large family and obviously don’t get enough attention. If their clothing is threadbare, it is because the parents must be financially strapped. If the baby has a dirty face, it is apparent that no one cares enough to clean it. Whereas a smaller family might be given the benefit of the doubt (all children throw tantrums at times, like to wear one item of clothing until it consists of three strands, and smear food upon their faces), for the larger family it becomes an opportunity to criticize. A mother pregnant with her second child is offered sympathy as she struggles with morning sickness and fatigue, but ask a mother pregnant with her fifth if she was offered any. This makes it difficult, even in a church setting, for those parents to share any difficulties they are having. I personally struggle with painful varicose veins that are aggravated during pregnancy. However, asking for prayer has sometimes been met with the attitude that such are my “just desserts” and so why would God heal me? I suspect the same attitude crops up when rebellious children, or money woes, are the issue.

Parents of large families are not out to prove anything. We’re not vying for your admiration, we aren’t trying to win any awards, we don’t view childbearing as some sort of contest (someone asked my husband during our last pregnancy if we were trying to “beat the Duggars”), and we don’t think you’re less spiritual than we are if you have fewer than we do. We aren’t asking anyone for special treatment, but it doesn’t seem too much to ask for common courtesy. Resist the urge to count out loud as you see us go by. Don’t marvel that we do, in fact, know all of our offspring’s names (even—given a minute or two—their birthdates)! And for the love of all the little green men on Mars, don’t ask us if we know what causes that. We do. And we enjoy it, although not as often as is (oddly) assumed.

Almost as difficult to deal with, in a way, are the effusively positive attitudes. Yes, this seems like a really strange thing to say in light of the previous paragraph, but having to decline imminent canonization is not pleasant. People who squeal, gush, flatter and insist that I must be, I simply MUST BE the most patient/organized/disciplined/loving/spiritual being ever to walk the earth wear me out. I have stopped volunteering the information regarding the numbers of my offspring mostly due to these reactions. I don’t have time to field a barrage of OMG!’s from the checkout lady at Wal-Mart while my ice cream melts. Plus, I don’t think it wins me any friends in the line behind me.

Please don’t put me on a pedestal. Honestly, it’s really lonely up there. We are called to be iron sharpening iron to one another, and in order to do that we have to be able to get close to somebody. When the comments run along the lines of “You’re my hero!” and “I could NEVER do what you do! You’re a saint!” I have to wonder what, exactly, the commenters think I am doing that gives me that status. As far as I’m concerned, I’m just a woman trying to do her best with the family God has given her, and I deeply value the support of friends who don’t expect me to have all the answers. You might be surprised to learn that the average mom-to-a-gob lives her days in much the same way as you do: she gets up, sees what needs doin', and does it. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other.

I don't think I qualify as a "mom-to-a-gob" yet. Maybe someday... How many do you think constitutes a "gob?"

7 comments:

  1. I'd say there are days out there that "gob" can mean one kid and a muddy dog. (and sometimes one without the other is enough)

    Great post...sad but eye-opening. Although, I'd like to think that larger families have a special immediate kinship with other families...a smile and nod...like VW drivers...I'll bet it's the same with you Odyssey owners... ;) C'mon, you can be honest here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to expound on my last comment...

    I don't mean to suggest that A kid makes a full plate for any mom...my comment more or less points to the truth that God gives the exact amount of grace needed...and today I have been lovingly bestowed enough to manage a kid covered in peanut butter and jelly and a muddy dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! =D I'd steal it and post it on our blog, but I think our family is still a bit too small for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we out number you, Christina, if you count Woody.

    ...unless you have any news?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No news...=) Maybe God thinks I need a little break.

    I'm not sure that you can count Woody, though... I mean, I know he's family and all, but...

    Well, okay. Maybe you can count him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think 4 is a gob. I used to think 5. But the rolled eyes and the "mormon or catholic" question come sooner than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha -- those comments come when you think about #3!

    ReplyDelete