Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Here's to NOT Becoming Jane

While Russell was busy last night inventing ways to stop Democrats from raising taxes, I watched Becoming Jane, a "biographical" take on the life of the famous novelist. I use "quotes" because I'm not sure how factual the movie is. For Austen's sake, I hope very little!

Here's a link to the Screen It! review of the movie. Screen It! is a great resource (thanks Mumpers) for finding out what's in a movie before you subject your eyes (or your children's) to Hollywood fare.

Basically, my problem with "Jane" is that she "fell in love" with a man of poor character and bad reputation. The idea that "falling in love" is something that just happens and we have no control over it -- poppycock! And the boring, rich, ugly guy -- she didn't really even give him a chance. Now, I'm not saying she should have ignored her feelings and subjected herself to a love-less marriage, but sometimes feelings take time to develop, and she might have found much to admire in the guy.

Young ladies -- please!!! -- fall in love with Godly character! It alone is "passion worthy."

I have other problems with the movie too -- like I don't think it should have been PG -- glad I watched it after the kids were in bed!

1 comment:

  1. Poppycock indeed. I am with you, 100%. Haven't seen the movie, but this is one of my pet peeves that is common to sooooo many movies.

    ReplyDelete