Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I found a nugget from Desiring God

I've been reading David Wells' The Courage to be Protestant off and on (mostly off) - - I find it hard to mentally engage in intellectually challenging materials since I'm often interrupted by my sweet children. Anyway...I came across this great video of Wells from Desiring God on what it means to be "in the world but not of the world." I think I'll start a David F. Wells fan club.





This is a good week for indulging in such marginally productive activities. Phillip is off visiting family in L.A., the girls are sick, and the weather is so horrid I can only bring myself to exit the house for the brief few minuets it takes to toss some water on my grass and plants so that they don't shrivel up and die. Oh, I also had to take the garbage cans out and pick up the dog poop (we sure miss you, Phillip).

I don't mean that Wells is marginally productive. On the contrary, I think his point is vital to our true productivity in whatever calling God has placed us. We all should investigate ways we've been influenced by our culture and whether those ideas or practices aline with Biblical doctrine. Anyone have any examples to share -- either personal or hypothetical? (this is a plea for stimulating conversation, preferably in electronic form...)

Speaking of reformed theologians of British decent, I just learned that Derek Thomas will be the featured speaker at the 2008 Refomation Bible Conference, hosted by Covenant Reformed Chruch. Mark your calendars now!

3 comments:

  1. It is hard to come up with things because if I thought it was unbiblical I would stop doing it.

    Wells made the point that worldliness is pernicious because it makes us comfortable not uncomfortable.

    Perhaps I ditch application points in sermons too easily. I do find my self thinking "I really hope so and so is hearing this point."

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for some good feedback, anonymous.

    Maybe what I'm thinking of are issues of discernment -- not out right unbiblical...

    I really love looking back and remembering things I used to believe...and how wrong I was! I'm sure I'll feel the same about some things I think today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the process of santification is so sweet in hindsight! =D

    I do pray that God would continue to expose these issues within us all, that we might truly glorify Him!

    thanks for the encouragement, Sister!

    ReplyDelete