Saturday, July 14, 2012

Clouds of dread are big with mercy

The middle three kids are with Daddy at the State Fair.  Big fun.  I'm not sad to miss it this year -- even though the temp has dipped to the lovely mid-80's with a light delta breeze (aka, God's air conditioner) -- my back gets tired out very easily with too much time on my feet or bending, lifting, etc.  Sarah took her camera so maybe I'll have some photos to post.

Phillip is working on his algebra 2 homework.  The crazy boy volunteered to take a year's worth of algebra 2 in one month.  He's scheduled to take algebra 2 as a sophomore next school year but is hoping that if he does well enough on this accelerated summer course he can skip ahead to pre-calculus.

Mary is napping.  She is very 2.  She's had some success on the potty, but is still a long way from being trained.  I need to decide to commit to making it happen, which I haven't done yet, but would really like to before new baby boy arrives.

Here's a picture of a recent kids dinner.  I thought it was sweet to see them all squeezed into the little kitchen table and I know how my readers like pictures :-)



Quite a challenge to get them to all look at the camera and smile at the same time.  They were hungry after all.

New baby continues to grow, kick and enjoy life in my belly.  I got a clear report on my glucose tolerance test this week, which I'm thankful for.  I've never had any diabetes concerns with my other pregnancies, but risks increase with age and family history.  I have another ultrasound on July 23 just to make sure there are no bleeds or visible Down syndrome related problems.  Likely another ultrasound in August.  My OB Dr. will be setting up a consultation with the NICU chief at our hospital to make sure he's in the loop for baby's arrival.  Haven't picked a birth date yet, but as long as I don't go into labor early we'd like to let him cook as long as possible...probably right around the middle of September.

I've been reading some blogs by other moms of babies with Down syndrome.  Read this one today and it got me thinking.  The blogger is no one I'm likely to ever meet, but she's a christian who seems like-minded in many ways, so I've appreciated her perspective in the journey of finding out before the birth of her daughter in 2010 that she'd have Down syndrome.  The mom answers the question "isn't life more difficult with a special needs baby?"

     Yes, but not nearly as difficult as I had been braced for. The dread of Down syndrome is blown way out of all proportion to the reality, if over 90% of babies with Down syndrome are being aborted.  It is in the design of God that when we embrace the difficulties He ordains as necessary for us, there comes a greater good.

 The phrase "the dread of Down syndrome" resonated with me.  I've known quite a few moms of "advanced maternal age" since I've been paying attention to such things, and I'm always relieved for them when their babies turn out to be "normal."  Although I know that Down syndrome or other disabilities are always a possibility, I found myself encouraged by all the older moms I knew having healthy babies (i.e.:  "see, so-and-so is 40 and she didn't have a Down syndrome baby!").  I knew of statistics like at age 40 the chances of having a baby with Down syndrome are 1 in 100.  That's really quite high.  With all the women today delaying childbirth until later in life we really should be seeing more Down syndrome kids around.  The fact that we don't speaks to this "dread of Down syndrome" in our culture.

I'm so looking forward to meeting this new baby, all 47 chromosomes of him.  I have no dread.  Most of the time when people ask "when are you due? do you know if it's a boy or girl?" I don't offer the information about him having Down syndrome unless it's someone I have a relationship with already or expect to in the future.  I'm just happy to be expecting a new gift from God, a boy specifically planned to be my son, the newest brother of the Lowery siblings.  Maybe I should be more vocal about his diagnosis.  The fact that we found out before he was born and decided not to abort him could be used by God to change many hearts.  I definitely don't want to hide the truth so I try to be sensitive to opportunities as they arise.

Well, I think I'm done rambling.  Going to enjoy some time with the Very 2-Yr-Old who's awake from her nap now :-)

By the way, I stole the title of this post from a quote in the blog mentioned above from the hymn writer William Cowper:

“Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take; the clouds ye so much dread are big with mercy and shall break with blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust him for his grace; behind a frowning providence he hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding ev’ry hour; the bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flow’r.

Blind unbelief is sure to err, and scan his work in vain; God is his own interpreter and he will make it plain.” 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts. I am so pleased to hear of your peace! And I am a BIG fan of The Blessing of Verity blog. That mama is a good witness who helps make me more holy, which is what all of us should be doing for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, my niece. I'm trying just to enjoy each day and be greatful for it and not worry about the future. It sounds like you are appreciating each day too. Stay well. I one of those who loves the pictures you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be tired. I hate sending out messages with typing errors or my own... oh well.

      Delete
  3. You do know that Ben has already stolen many of our hearts. <3 But then again, your kids tend to have that effect on us. So thankful for you, Sister!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something you said resonated with me....

    "Maybe I should be more vocal about his diagnosis. The fact that we found out before he was born and decided not to abort him could be used by God to change many hearts."

    I'm glad that you are thinking along these lines. That may be one of the reasons that the Lord gave you a down syndrome baby. I'm pretty sure that is one of the reasons that He never opened my womb. So that I could praise Him by telling others about our trust in the Lord during adoption. It also enables me to talk to others about my adoption in Christ. Turning conversations towards the Lord is pretty simple when we are trusting Him through circumstances that others would be devastated by.

    Nice to hear your thoughts today. XXOO

    ReplyDelete