Friday, February 13, 2009

My issues with the octuplet mom

I've thought some about the octuplet mom situation, from time to time over the last week, when I've gotten a chance to have my own thoughts, here and there. I couldn't quite put my finger on what bugged me about her. There were obvious issues: in vitro, unmarried, welfare. But children are a gift from God, right? You all know how I'm a fan of big families. Do I have a double standard here?

I finally figured out what REALLY bothered me: this woman's obviously exaggerated affection for her own DNA.

If she ADOPTED 14 children I'd call her a hero. Of course, I'd still have problems with the lack of a father in the home and her need for public assistance. But, providing a family for 14 orphans would be highly admirable, selfless, and praiseworthy. Having a need to go to EXTREME measures to create biological offspring, not once or twice, but 14 times, is the height of narcissism.

I know adoption is not as easy as it sounds, but there's something seriously messed up in our society when a single woman decides that having eight babies implanted in her uterus is a better option than adopting any number of children.

Psa 68:5 Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! I've got several problems with the scenario myself (including the fact that everyone seems to immediately link her with me in conversation! ;) --but I think my biggest problem is the consideration of all the lives that were created and destroyed so that she could carry those 14 babies. Her previous 6 babies came from 5 different IVF procedures, with each implanting 6 live embryos. At least 24 babies lost in her attempts to have the 14 she has.

    Of course, though adoption does seem to be the best option, it's not so easy...

    ReplyDelete