Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Are you going to have any more?

Found this great post linked from Amy's Humble Musings. This expresses a lot of my convictions on the matter, in case anyone was wondering (I put in bold the part I really like).


"Is Eight Enough," by Octamom

There is an assumption that M and I set out to build a large family, but this was not the case. Our plan included the development of his law and political career, which I would support through my burgeoning media opportunities. We would focus exclusively on our careers for about a decade, then take a three month sabbatical to the Greek Isles, whereupon I would ovulate on a timetable, we would conceive and presto, bingo, right on schedule, right when we had our careers headed for zenith, right when we had a certain amount of dollars in the bank, right when we had our dream home built and furnished, then there would be Baby.

Imagine the shock to the 10 year plan when 7 months into the marriage I took a pregnancy test that registered a positive result. Imagine M's shock when I went from full-out television career woman to a gestating soon-to-be mommy who in a blink decided to ditch my career to stay home with the spawn. Fifteen months into our marriage we welcomed 1 of 8, 105 months shy of the designated time we had set aside for her arrival.

I really thought she would be an only child. Tough delivery, tough financial times, tough strain on a young marriage. Incredible little girl, incredible bond, incredible growth. The balance of a baby in tow.

After 2's arrival, we thought we were done. After 3's arrival, we thought we were done. After 4's arrival, M really thought we were done...and I wasn't so sure. After 5's arrival, I begged for 6. After 6's arrival, I thought we were done. And then there were 7 & 8.

What I have found is this: it's all about faith. It's all about trust. I don't know how many children people should have. I do know we should pray a whole lot more about it. I don't think that big families are somehow more 'spiritual'. I do know that the process of family building is holy ground, whether by biological or adoptive or foster or mentoring means. I don't have the answers to all things reproduction. I do think we need to quit thinking in terms of 'what can I handle' and think instead 'how can I be stretched.' We tend to make decisions in this arena based in fear, not in faith.

We've had easy pregnancies, we've had hard ones. I've had some fast, smooth labors and I've had some zingers. We've had two miscarriages. We've had times we hoped to be pregnant and weren't. We have two girls with special needs. We have eight children who all come with their own individuals strengths and weaknesses. We are two people with strengths and weaknesses. We mess up. We get back up. We are blessed.

So in the end, the answer is this: we are standing on holy ground. To be invited by an infinitely creative Creator to participate in such an amazing way to make people is holy.

I don't know about it being "holy" but it sure is humbling. Russell and I joke about how we sure wish we waited to have kids every time Sarah does something like this:

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! One thing I think is so wise about Catholic doctrine is that we are never supposed to think for sure that we are never going to have another child, that we are "done." We are supposed to take every child one at a time, listening for God's will. It's a teaching salutary for the soul, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete