Friday, May 30, 2008

Stuff Christians Like #262

Alright, I don't endorse everything this guy writes, but I love his sense of humor. Check this out:

#262. Hoping TBS edits the Sex in the City movie too.

Whoa, look at us being topical, conversing about a movie that is premiering this week.

I know some Christian ladies that like the show "Sex in the City." They watch it and laugh and secretly wonder what it would be like if the character "Mr. Big" ever became a Christian. ("He's so dreamy and could totally take Patrick Dempsey's character from Grey's Anatomy in a fight.") They are cool with the show. But if I ever asked them to watch the DVD version, they would slap me square in the mouth and say, "How dare you, how dare you indeed! Good day, sir." (In my head, I have very fancy sounding friends.)

They don't like the HBO version, they like the version the television station TBS plays. That one has a lot less nudity, adult situations, swearing etc. It's like they dialed the Samantha character back a few degrees from "skanky" to "flirtatious." And when they announced a movie version of the show was coming out I could see my friends quietly thinking, "I can't wait to see that in three years on TV! Please, please, please TBS play an edited version."

And I don't blame them or judge them. I like when they show movies like Fight Club on television. I feel a little better about myself and think that God is up there in heaven saying, "What is that, 37% less swears? Good, yeah that's good. Go ahead and watch that." OK, He's probably not saying that. I imagine He might be saying, "Less swears? I'm a swear monitor now? You've turned me into the FCC? Come on Jon. I'm bigger and wilder than that. I don't ask you to not look at stuff like that because I'm a stiff. I ask you not to because what I've got for you is even cooler. And when you fill your head with other stuff it dilutes how much mental space you've got to enjoy my stuff, which I promise is sick."

That's what I think anyway.

I also recommend #66 and #231

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Sharon.

    I love how wicked awesome God's jive is there at the end.

    :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...I can't imagine much being left after editing....maybe I miss understand the entire premise of the show...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just caught Michael Medved's review of Sex in the City.

    He actually liked the movie -- said it was about real people interested in having real relationships, marriages and families.

    This is also NOT an endorsement, but still a good sign, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. michael ? medved ? hmmm....how curious...

    ReplyDelete