Friday, May 16, 2008

Are you comfortable with this?


I'm not. It seems weird and sad. What do you think?

from today's Bee...

Anita Creamer: Bundles of joy -- next stop, Florida

Madeline and Gavin Cruce, born recently to aunt/surrogate mother Crystal Ellis of Folsom, go home with their biological parents

What words are there to convey the meaning of the gift of a lifetime that Crystal has already given Shannon? After Shannon Cruce learned she couldn't carry babies to term, Crystal Ellis – a 35-year-old Folsom mother of two – volunteered to do it for her. She served as a gestational carrier, in fertility experts' lingo; the incubator of the biological offspring of her sister and brother-in-law.

With the twins' births on April 25, Shannon and Mark Cruce have a full house, a complete family.

Surrogate pregnancy has been made specifically legal in only a dozen states, and only an estimated 1,000 surrogate pregnancies occur each year nationally. But Californians generally seem comfortable with the procedure – and so, of course, is the extended Cruce-Ellis family.


and I like the part about them deciding their family is now "complete." Eeek.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you...surrogating (?) has always baffled me. wow...if 2 is complete are the lowerys bursting at the seams??? and what can be said of the nevi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have to say that, after carrying and giving birth to four children, I don't have the heart to surrogate... And I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I've even warded off mention of it with beloved family members who are unable to bear children...

    I'm sure that I could make many arguments against this, and that there are many arguments that could be made for it...

    BUT, I am truly *surprised* that the legality of it is in question in so many states?

    ReplyDelete