Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shout out to the sign holders

So, it turns out that my OB Dr.'s building is also home to an abortionist. It's jarring to think about as I waddle into my appointments. So many mothers walk through the building doors each day -- some eagerly anticipating the arrival of a baby, some hoping to conceive, some seeking specialized care for high-risk pregnancies, some with their babies going to visit their pediatrician, and apparently some seeking abortion.

Lately, there's been a faithful contingent of abortion protesters standing on a corner of the street near the office building holding signs. Now, these protesters are of the mildest kind: female, no pictures of aborted babies, no calling out to passers by, only occasionally offering literature -- if there is such a thing as a non-threatening protester, this is it.

Last week as I walked up to the building I observed a late-middle aged woman change her direction to approach the protesters. I was 50 yards behind, and I walk slow, so I couldn't hear any of the discussion, but the woman was giving the pro-lifers her two cents.  She was angry and definitely felt the sign holders should not be there. 

I wonder if she's had an abortion.  Maybe her anger is a result of her own guilt? 

Well, I made a point to go by the sign holders and thank them.  I'm not sure if their presence causes anyone to change their mind about abortion, but I'm glad they are there.  Even if all they do is prick someone's conscience it's time well spent.  Long live the 1st amendment.

2 comments:

  1. =) Thank you for thanking them! I'm sure they were encouraged.

    And the type of protesters that you describe, from what I've noted, seem to be the most effective. We've had a few gals that have come to the pregnancy center after getting literature from such-described people, changing their minds about abortion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great, Sharon! I mean, it's not great that your OB shares office building space with an abortionist, but that some dedicated pro-lifers are out there making sure everyone knows it. We have three abortion clinics "conveniently" located in ghettos of Charlotte and one of our abortionist doctors works primarily at a very chic obstetrical clinic in a very white area of expensive Charlotte. So Flip Benham (who lives here) created some brochures explaining to these chic clients that their wonderful, paternal doctor works as an abortionist two days a week down at the ghetto clinics, and wouldn't they want to know that? He took the brochures to the doctor ahead of time and offered that if the doctor would stop working at the clinic, Flip would not stand outside the office and distribute the brochures. The doctor thought about it for a couple of days and decided he couldn't afford the publicity, so he stopped working at the abortion clinic. Nice work, Flip!

    ReplyDelete