Thursday, September 4, 2008

Raising future adults

Unless a web site has RC Sproul, John MacArthur, or John Piper's seal of approval, I always approach sceptically. Not really, but kinda. Let's call it reading with discernment. So today I followed a link from a link and ended up at this site. I've never heard of it before, and I couldn't even find a solid statement of faith (RED FLAG!). However, I decided to post this article anyway because I thought it was great. It seems like these folks have a genuine passion for the right things. The article is rather lengthy. I had to return to it several times this morning between laundry, Sarah's school and lunch, but by the time I got to the end I was teary-eyed. I know at least Christina will be too :-)


Here's how it starts:

The Foger family came to stay with us one spring about 12 years ago while they were on furlough from Mozambique.

Their eighth child was soon to be delivered. Although I had just met the family, I was highly impressed by them. The oldest daughter, 19 years old, was a joyful, hardworking, energetic, blue-eyed beauty. The next, a 17 year old son, was cut in the mold of his father, dedicated, reserved, and very mission-minded. The five other children were 13 years old and younger. The family sang together with strong, forceful voices, no bashfulness among them. The two oldest children provided the instrumental accompaniment. It was an experience just listening to such a group.

They all understood and spoke two languages. The oldest two children spoke three languages. The father had left South America after ten years of mission service to move to another country, which meant learning another language. The parents still stumbled around slowly learning the Portuguese language. The two oldest children were invaluable in the new ministry, which was already showing promise.

While we sat around one evening, the mother casually asked us to pray that their daughter find a husband before they left for Mozambique in the Fall. I asked in a shocked manner, “Why on earth would you want her to marry now? She is such a blessing to you and knows the language. Surely you need her to help you with the other children.” The mother lifted her arched brows as she pondered how she would answer me. Her look conveyed her surprise at my lack of understanding. “We will be in a foreign country for the next 4 years. All that time she will be at the prime of her marriageable age. We feel it is best for her to marry an American. God called my husband to Mozambique as a missionary…not our adult children. We have obeyed God and raised them up to serve HIM…not US. We don’t add; we multiply. It is time for her to live her life.”

That next year we received a mission card with their picture. There were only six children in the picture. The mission letter briefly stated that the oldest son was in Bible school and the daughter was married.

Over the years I received their missions update. I noted that the parents were growing fatter and grayer. The children disappeared from the picture, one or two every year or so. It was sad to see the diminishing of such a magnificent family. The mission letters were filled with gospel film presentations to prisoners and villagers, church camps, protracted meetings, people getting saved, and only a brief mention of their now grown children. They would write something like, “Joshua and his wife are in Romania serving as missionaries; Peter and his wife are in Russia working with the something ministry; Sara married this year. Her husband is the pastor of a church.” And so it went.

Today we receive mission letters from their now grown and ministering children. I see their families expanding. Their joyful, energetic, blue-eyed beauty of a daughter is now the mother of six children. Her family is growing up in Cajun country. I know if I meet them I will be very impressed. I heard that they sing like soldiers…with power and command.



O.K. -- see -- teary eyes, no? Here's the main point. I whole-heartedly agree:


...Encourage your children to become responsible, autonomous, well educated, and experienced adults as soon as possible. You should have trained your sons to be men by the time they are fifteen, independent by the time they are eighteen. Your daughters should be capable of living apart from the family by the time they are eighteen and should be allowed to make their own life’s decisions somewhere between the ages of eighteen and twenty. Unmarried, grown (18 years old) children may remain at home; it is good if they do; but the parent-child relationship should evolve into an adult-adult relationship by the time they are sixteen to eighteen years old. Parents should have earned the right to give advice, and kids should have grown in wisdom enough to ask for it. But a parent should never invoke his parental authority on a grown kid. It is demeaning to both and akin to not being potty trained.

Reading this I was reminded of my own teen years. I praise God for parents who trusted me (with a car, gas money, and college room and board) and for God's work in my life up to that point to make me trustworthy.

3 comments:

  1. Okay -- completely teary-eyed. But we can blame that on the hormones. ;)

    ---

    But this leads me to my problem with the vice-presidential candidate whose praises we've all been singing. I really like her. I do. And I think she was a brilliant choice. But seriously --we're talking about a woman whose primary job just became getting another woman's husband elected as President of the United States??? I ache for her family... It seems to me that they are the ones who need such a beautiful woman the most, and isn't *that* how God designed it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't know her well enough to sing her praises. If I did know her well I'd challenge her on her priorities. But she's obviously decided that public service is more important than being the primary care giver to her children.

    So, we're not asked to vote on whether or not she's mother-of-the-year. We should always vote for who we most agree with politically. As long as she's going to work to promote conservative government I'll support her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... I guess I'm probably still gonna vote for her. But I am saddened. The sadness isn't aimed only at her... I guess I'm just sad about the state of affairs that would lead so many women to sacrifice the state of their families for their ambitions... and so many to overlook such sacrifices for the "good" of the nation. I just wish we could all understand a bit better the high calling of God when He asks women to focus on their husbands and children, first! Definitely no personal jabs there -- just my opinion on the matter in general.

    ReplyDelete