Tuesday, September 16, 2008

a budding writer

Phillip composed this short story for a school assignment. We thought it was very good! It is unedited:

I have two beautiful little fly children, Bacon and Grease. But I almost lost them once. This is what … oh I better just tell you the story from the beginning. It started like this: I was out teaching my little kids to fly. But Bacon of them wasn’t strong enough and fell in to a spider web. I ran frantically for my little kid but I was not speedy enough to get there before the spider occupying that web got to Bacon.

I closed my eyes and covered my ears so that I might not hear the agonizing screams of Bacon. I knew I would still hear him so I braced myself for Bacons shrieks. And I waited. And waited. But I did not here any screams so I looked to see what had happened. As I floated there in awe saw the spider helping bacon untangle himself.

I told Grease to wait and cautiously moved towards the web, afraid it might be a trick to capture both me and Bacon. As I crept towards the web, hoping that the ugly spider wouldn’t detect me, I jumped as I heard a very deep voice say, “ I Can see you.” I looked around, wondering where the voice came from. That’s when I realized that it had come from the spider. “ If your wondering if you can get your tasty… I mean adorable little son back, I’ll give him to you.” “Ok,” I replied. I flew to the good spider and retrieved my son.

“Thank you,” I fervently said over and over again. “No problem. I am working on becoming a vegetarian. Resisting your son was the perfect test to see if I am a full vegetarian,” said the spider. “My name is omelette. What is your name?” asked the spider. I answered to his question,” My name is Hash Brown. I’m very pleased to meet you. Once again I thank you for not eating my son Bacon. My other son’s name is Grease. I’ll call him so you can meet him.”
“ No thank you, “ replied Omelette to this offer.” If ever you are in trouble again, just call on me, and ol’ Omelette will come running along.” “Ok,” I said, grateful for his offer. “ See you around.”

Omelette came visiting almost every day, bringing presents for the kids frequently. The kids started to look forward to the visits of Omelette and so did I, for the house( if you call a hollow log a house) was awfully boring with no other adults. So this went on for two or three months (or was it days?) until a fly family reunion called me to town for a week. I could not take Bacon or Grease because, even though they were almost adults, they still could not fly great distances like a hundred feet. So I asked Omelette to watch Bacon and Grease while I was gone.

Here is spiders account on what happened while I was gone: Omelette said the first through third days were easy to watch the kids. It was the fourth day that he began to feel the temptation to eat them. Omelette was able to resist banqueting them on the fifth and sixth day, but it was not easy Omelette told me. On the seventh day was when the real trial came. He had Bacon in his hands, his fangs/mouth wide open when he dropped Bacon, turned and ran, and got himself stuck in a crack on purpose. From then on I, Hash Brown le Pancake never trusted Omelette to watch my children for more than three days again.

The End

6 comments:

  1. Yes, about the names...I can't help but assume that his inspiration came from the dirty dishes in my sink! (just being transparent here)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More children should be named after breakfast food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job, phillip! and know I am hungry for some bacon and grease!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an extremely well crafted story!

    ReplyDelete