Monday, April 5, 2010

Rick Warren? I thought it was a joke

Last week I saw bloggers posting things like "Rick Warren to Speak at Desiring God Conference." I thought it was an April fools joke. I guess it's not.


Here's a link to a thoughtful discussion of the issue by Challies. What do you think? Is it a good idea? bad idea? bad idea but not a big deal? Or is it a big deal? Here's some excerpts:

John Piper inviting Rick Warren to speak at the conference is not that big of a deal. It matters, to be sure, but not enough to get too riled up. It's important that we put it in its proper context. Piper did not invite Robert Schuller or the Dalai Lama, someone who outright denies the gospel. Warren professes faith in Christ and professes an evangelical understanding of that faith.

Having said all of this, I still believe it would have been best for Piper not to invite Warren. In inviting Warren, Piper is implicitly downplaying the reasons that many Reformed Christians have expressed concern about Warren and his ministry and have separated themselves from both.

Warren has proven repeatedly that he does not and will not honor the Bible. He preaches from the Bible, he knows vast amounts of Scripture and I'm sure he loves studying the Bible. But his ministry makes clear that he does not truly honor it in the way he uses it. I hardly even know where to begin here. Turn to any of Warren's books and you will see that this is the case. Time and time again he has misused and abused the Bible.

Second only to my concern about Rick Warren's consistent history of misusing Scripture is this: he seemingly seeks to be all things to all men. As you might perceive, I am not using this phrase in a complimentary way. I want to be careful here, but what I have seen from Warren is not so much that he will claim to be both A and B, but that he will claim to be A and Not A. There is a strange kind of subjectivism in his allegiances and in his beliefs.

Piper is understandably excited about Warren's regard for Jonathan Edwards. Yet we canot deny that his ministry looks nothing like a ministry influenced by Edwards. Can you even imagine what Edwards would say about The Purpose Driven Life or an Easter church service featuring the Jonas Brothers? A and not A.

While I don't doubt that Rick Warren loves the church and loves the Lord, neither do I doubt that he does harm to the people and to the Name he loves so much. To invite him to this conference is to downplay all of the harm brought about by his unbiblical and pragmatic style of ministry.
 
I kinda think it's a big deal.  But maybe I'm just looking for something to get upset about besides the fact that I'M STILL PREGNANT!

2 comments:

  1. I need to read more into it... which I'm not doing right this second, granted. But given that it's Piper, I'm assuming he has a good reason. Which leaves me just confused -- why did he do it?

    I'm not very concerned that Warren is going to ruin the conference or anyone's faith in the process... I have a feeling that most people going to the conference that would listen to him speak would do so on guard! And if not, I'm sure someone there will straighten 'em up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what Piper is thinking to be honest. I know what he has said he is thinking, but that doesn't justify what Warren has said/done in the past. However, I am hoping that Piper knows what he is doing as he isn't a dumb guy.

    The only explanation that I see is that Piper wants to encourage Warren to solidify what he says and does in public, but even then is it appropriate to do that by inviting him to DGN? With that said, keep Piper and Warren in your prayers.

    Perhaps that's what Pipers sabbatical is all about? haha!

    ReplyDelete