Saturday, September 26, 2009

How far we've come


Russell and I enjoyed a movie on dvd last night. It's rare to find one these days that's blog-worthy. This one is relatively clean, has a good message and quality acting. It's The Express: The Ernie Davis Story. It would help your enjoyment of the movie if you like football at least a little, but even if you don't, it offers a worthwhile glimpse into the civil rights issues of the 1950-60's.

The title character makes a name for himself as an awesome running back who happens to be one of a handful of black NCAA Div. 1 players of the day. I must admit I cringed at some of the scenes of racism and hatred depicted in the movie. It's saddening to consider how recent this history actually is. I know many of my blog readers lived it themselves. Yet the progress that's been made in our country is undeniable, and the contributions from the sports world are significant.

It's good to learn from the past. It's good to remember how disgustingly sinful mankind can be (especially West Virginians -- that's a joke you'll get if you see the movie!). It's good to examine myself and the world around me today to see if there's any prejudice tendencies creeping in. And it's good to know that vengeance is of the LORD.

1 comment:

  1. It is remarkable, it is very valuable piece

    ReplyDelete