Thursday, June 18, 2009

I {heart} The Gospel

From Michael Horton in Modern Reformation:

The inner world of mysticism and pietism has always been a refuge from the clash of competing claims about objective truth, but the gospel isn't a claim about how I feel or how I live -- or even about how I think. The gospel radically transforms our feelings, thoughts, and practices; but only because it is not about anything that is done by us or in us. It is not a claim about me at all. It is the Good News about God's practices, not mine; His thoughts and feelings towards me, not mine toward Him. It does not well up within us, but comes to us from outside.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a powerful reminder of our sovereign, loving, merciful God. Of course the gospel enables my emotional reaction to God. The distinction between the gospel, worship and even sanctification is so important to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's clear who the "touchy-feely" one is in our relationship.

    ReplyDelete