Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Celebration

Well, to those of you "Wild Boar Blog" readers out there who don't know this already, we're a little strange. I've been thinking about one of our quirks recently and thought it'd be useful to fill you in. Here it is: we don't like Christmas very much.

Now, both Russell and I grew up in families where Christmas was a very special holiday. The most looked-forward-to time of year. I started playing my Christmas music in October. I wanted my Dad to be the first dad on the block to get his lights up.

I have fond memories of family times and gifts and music and sweets. But, I've had to ask myself if these things are a help or a hindrance to my love for Christ. It was with many tears that I've come to realize that my love for Christmas was really a love for the season, lights, gifts, family, music and magic.

People who don't love Christ still love Christmas. The Capitol building has a door decorating contest (and you know those people don't love Christ.) There are parties and Christmas cards and gifts in the secular world and I don't think it matters a hoot whether they say "Seasons Greetings" or "Merry X-Mas." Christ is not in their holiday.

I hate to be a bah humbug here. I really don't want to be. I think it's totally a matter of freedom of conscience for everyone to celebrate Christ's birth how they see fit. We know we're strange. I hope we don't mess our kids up too bad.

I've come to realize that, for me, no amount of seasonal magic can trump the signifigance of this:

And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"


Luke 2:9-14

My heart is too easily dazzled with the world's allurements. Until I'm more dazzled by the incarnation I must lay aside every encumbrance.

2 comments:

  1. I hate the Christmas season, but not for the reasons you cite. You've given me food for thought, that perhaps actually celebrating Christ's birth would be worthwhile, rather than getting caught up in the surface stuff and the sadness around my mom's death that makes me so grinchy. If the celebration is truly about Christ, if we can make it that way, then it's a different paradigm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts, dear friend! These are definitely good things to ponder...

    ReplyDelete