Monday, August 29, 2016

Back-to-school ramblings

I love many things about homeschooling. I love being able to pick what subjects and books my kids learn. I love being the authority over their education and character development. I love being able to emphasize what I think is most important and de-emphasize things that are secondary. And, honestly, I think education is something families and communities should be able to accomplish without the government. Obviously, that last comment is fantasy land.

So we have government schools. In the not-so-distant past I'd get to enjoy my beautiful children until they turned 6 or so and then send them off to a neighborhood school where teachers would instruct them in reading, math and biblical values. For free. Meanwhile, I'd be free to spend my days with my babies and preschoolers. We'd do laundry, plan meals, go to the park, and have naps.



But this is not my reality either.

In reality, the local public school is often hostile to God's truth. I don't require every influence on my children to agree with me completely. If that were the case we'd never leave or open our front door. But I have my children under my care and supervision for 18 short years. I need to be diligent with the time I've been given.



So we homeschool. It's crazy. It's disorganized-ish. The kids hate it. But it's the best decision for us.


Mary's been working on her Phelps face















This week we're starting a co-op with other like-minded families from our church. We have about 30 students grades K-8th who will be participating in classes together. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we'll have classes in history, science, grammar, art, catechism, literature, phonics, cooking and writing. Say a prayer.

Eager for co-op tomorrow!



I'm so thankful for this group of sisters who've worked hard over the past 6 months to put this together. And for our local church who's facilities we get to invade.

So here's to back-to-school. Raising and teaching children is serious business. Let's all strive to give it our all. At least until November ;)

2 comments: