Friday, September 7, 2012

Just a few more days!

There hasn't been much to report here, which is good, but as this pregnancy rounds the final turn I thought I should give some updates.

The big news (which may not actually be news to you):  baby is scheduled to arrive Wednesday September 12 at 1:30pm!  Originally my Dr.'s wanted me to wait until 39 weeks (which would be Sept.  15, but my Dr. doesn't work on weekends :-/ so would mean waiting until the 17th or later!), but I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago that showed amniotic fluid levels to be on the low side of normal, so they decided to bump up the delivery a few days.  I'm happy about this for several reasons:

1 - I'm just really physically tired of being pregnant!  Of course, this by itself isn't a good reason to do an early c-section delivery, but I'm happy to avoid another week or two of being pregnant and get going on my recovery.

2 - The longer baby is inside me the greater the chance he could have internal bleeding or another life-threatening event.  Studies are sketchy, but some show 20% chance of losing a Down syndrome baby after diagnosis.  Most of these losses are probably due to babies having heart defects or more complicated chromosomal abnormalities, but it's been somewhat worrisome to have the NAIT diagnosis too. (If you missed what that's all about go back to this post.)

3 - Since I have to have a c-section I'd like to do it when it's scheduled and not in a rushed dash-to-the-hospital-in-the-middle-of-the-night-because-I'm-in-labor kind of way.

4 - only two more IVIG infusions!

I'm not too worried about how this is all going to go down.  I figure it's best not to worry about things that may or may not happen until they happen :-)  And I know God will give me grace to swim in the deep end of His providence.  The bottom is firm and He won't let me drown.  In the interest of full disclosure though I thought I'd list some concerns so you all can know what's on my mind and how to pray.  Most of all, pray that God would adorn the gospel through my thoughts, words, and deeds and glorify Himself through the life of this new immortal soul.  Here are some more temporal concerns:

  • That the c-section surgery would go smoothly and my recovery would be quick.


  • That baby would have good platelet counts and no other immediate health concerns and be able to come home from the hospital when I do.


  • That baby would breastfeed well.  Down syndrome babies can struggle with this due to weak suck, low muscle tone, tongue-trust issues and sleepiness.  However breastfeeding is such a benefit to facial muscle strength, future speech development, and immune system health, not to mention the benefit to ME of not having to deal with pumps and bottles! (I'm lazy!)
Here's a photo from a recent ultrasound.  Who isn't excited to meet this little cutie!?!?!?!


Stay posted for some photos of him on the outside soon!

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I can't wait!! =D <3 And praying for you, Sister. So thankful for your heart and your transparency!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww...i think that is the best 3D ultrasound picture I've seen...so stinkin awesome! can't wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! I'm very happy for you to know your date and be all ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, he is so cute. Look at that sweet nose and those beautiful lips. I can't wait to see more pics of him. Bottles are the worst so I hope he breastfeeds! I would have loved to have avoided the bottle for my babies!! Hope it all goes well my friend. I'll be thinking about you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly am praying for you. I would bet that you are ready to hold this little one in your arms rather in your uterus. That is such a clear picture! Usually I can't tell what I'm seeing. He's as cute as can be which is no surprise considering your other kids. I'm going to see your mom and dad on Oct. 2nd and hope to come see you before that so I can take them some pictures. Jury duty (maybe) is going to interfer with my travel plans some but I'll let you know when I'm coming. Can't wait and I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers for what you asked for and just because you are my niece and I love you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete