Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Reflections on the first week

I'll try to keep it PG:

1. Keeping a newborn alive is a big job, even if it's your 6th. I've accumulated close to 6 years of nursing experience, but somehow my "apparatus" still think a sucking newborn is the equivalent of twenty needles stabbing my chest. My experience tells me what's normal and what's not, and I know it'll get easier. But for such a natural and perfectly designed relationship, breastfeeding can still be hard work. Bottom line: lanolin and kellymom.com

2. C-section recovery is slow. Russell is rockin' the Mr. Mom gig like a champ and forbids me from doing anything other than taking care of baby this week - which means I have to let him do things NOT the way I would ;-)  The body's ability to heal is truly amazing. I've had my abdomen sliced through and stitched back up (3 x's) and am still able to function -- I even feel better physically today than I have in the last 2 months or so! Bottom line: Motrin.

3. Newborns are TINY! Squishy and floppy. Sleepy and poopy. I love how she fits in the cradle of my arm or nestled under my chin. Bottom line: they're wonderful.





2 comments:

  1. <3
    Miss you and am praying over all of it.
    Bottom line: love you and your ENORMOUS family! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to meet here some day...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete