Thursday, October 15, 2009

Warning: serious political rant ahead

Disclaimer: no cute pictures of the kids today. hormonal, emotional, talk-radio-listening momma has something to get off her chest...



I read this interview today with CA gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman. I appreciate her honesty and Fleischman's skill at clarifying the issue. I am greatly troubled by this statement from Whitman:

My view is that if we are going to be pro-choice, that people do have the ability to have an abortion if they think it is the right thing for them...that it needs to be available to all women, and whether you are rich or poor, you need to be able to access that right. And it's unfair to women who can not afford an abortion, and that's why I support public funding.


Unfair? It's unfair that someone can't afford their own abortion? Unfair to who? A woman who, in the vast majority of cases, voluntarily had sex with a man she wasn't married to?

This may be unfair, but I'm o.k. with that. If you're poor there are certain things you can't have: a Lexus, venti frappuccinos, and abortions. Sorry, life's not fair.

It's unfair that a defenseless baby will never be allowed a first breath so that this woman won't be inconvenienced.

It's unfair that thousands of adoptive parents wait with open arms to welcome babies into their homes and hearts while our tax dollars pay to kill children.

That's unfair.

But let us not forget we serve a holy, just and sovereign God. I'm so thankful He was "unfair" to His Son on my behalf.
The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD is avenging and wrathful; the LORD takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies. The LORD is slow to anger and great in power, and the LORD will by no means clear the guilty.

Nahum 1:2-3

Waiting for the day all things will be made "fair."

4 comments:

  1. ::hugs::

    Yes. It is truly heartbreaking that our government thinks it is kind to pay for a women to destroy herself. It's like paying for her to have a trampoline installed on the edge of a cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just like that, Whitman has lost my vote. Sharon, who do you like best of the remaining candidates?

    ReplyDelete
  4. David -- this post was not intended as an anti-endorsement. It's my understanding that all the candidates are pro-choice to some extent or another. Whitman also said in this interview that she supports parental notification, etc.

    I think Republicans in CA should support whoever has the best chance of winning the general election. I don't know who that is right now.

    I'll be voting for whoever my husband tells me to :-)

    ReplyDelete